Tuesday 5 March 2013

Giant Space Elf War Robot pt3

So, more progress on the Revenant this weekend. Nowhere near as much as I would have liked though. Airbrushes. What a splendid tool, and what an utter, utter pain in the arse.

No paint came out. Or when it did, it came out in lumps. So I did what I was supposed to do and stripped it down and washed it out. Twice. It still didn't work. And now there were air bubbles streaming up through the gravity feed pot. Aaaaaarrrrgh!!

Thanks to this site:
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home
I managed to resolve the problem with nothing more than a spot of the missus' lip balm. Two lessons learned: thin your paint properly (otherwise it can dry on the needle) and if there are bubbles in your paintpot, it means that air is blowing back from the tip somehow: either the nozzle is blocked with paint, or, as in my case this weekend, the seal between the nozzle and the brush housing is not working. A bit of vaseline (or indeed cherry flavoured lip balm) on the threads fixes this a treat. All that did take a few hours though, and a trip to a chemist to get some of those tiny interdental brushes which are a lot cheaper than the airbrush cleaning kits I've seen for sale, and work very well.

Anyway. Here's where I'm at now. Lots of this is blu-tacked, and the paint on the newer parts isn't finished, but I am getting quite excited to see what this beast will finally look like. And I need to hurry up because I will have a Wraithseer to paint by the end of the week....

Airbrushed bits (finally)
 
 
Blu tacked side shot (those pulsars are really huge when you put them together...)


Blu tacked front shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment